Oh god. Have you ever tried reading on Epistemology? Trying to read the explanations of what the school of thought focuses on is already a headache. And the theories are popping up from everywhere. Not taking into account arguments from so many other philosophers yet.
Simply put, "How do we know what we know?"
As confusing as it is thought-provoking. It also tackles as to what constitutes to the truth.
If I told you I've eaten this new burger at MacDonald's, and it's called the 'Prosperity Burger', you'd probably believe me.
1. You trust me.
2. You have seen Prosperity Burger advertisements and you take it to be true.
3. Many other people have told you that they had it too.
4. You have eaten it before.
But what if 2, 3 and 4 doesn't apply? You've never seen its ads, neither do your friends know about it, and obviously you haven't tried it. Would you deem it to be true because you trust me? The fact is: I haven't so much as smelt the Prosperity Burger, much less tasted it.
It has become such that knowledge in the truth isn't as simple as "Seeing is believing". I think PIs need to read up on epistemology. It would help them much I think.
This reminds me of Mr. Jeremy Lo, a really mischievous lecturer of mine at Ngee Ann Poly, who once told me that he's going to teach in Nanyang Poly. It was a complete lie, that bugger. But I wasn't particularly gossipy then and I didn't pass that message about. But once I did tell a friend and she bumped into him and asked him about it. Turns out he had totally forgot about it and he simply wanted to see how fast the news would spread. See where the truth is? The only truth is that I believed him.
But in the words of Se7en, 난 알아요.
2 comments:
Yea that, and "the more we know, the more we know we don't know".
Anyhow, believing in someone's lies really depends on how harmful that particular lie can be. Ignorance still the best lah.
Ignorance can only be something you want after you know what happened what.... I think?
Post a Comment