Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Doing Time

We ought to be really thankful that we are not citizens of Melbourne in the 1860s because you could be sent to the gaol just because you were a vagrant. The youngest prisoner in the Old Melbourne Gaol was 3 years old, for being Idle and having Disorderly Behaviour. What's this!

Some were quite wrongly hanged in my opinion because cases weren't exactly solved on the basis of evidence then. I don't know if I should be thankful I didn't opt for the night tour because the night tours include performances and a follow-the-guide by candlelight, so that sounds really fun and creepy. They should have more things and stuff in there though, because the place was almost boring. The way the people were hanged was cool because they created a trapdoor that fell away from under the feet of the convicts.

And the best part I found out, was that hanging a person requires some study and knowledge. You'd want to snap the neck of the person without creating scratches and bruises on the person's neck. If the length of the rope was too short, the person would suffer from prolonged strangulation. If it were too long, the entire head might break off. Ultimately, the ideal situation shows immediate separation of the neck bones. Ain't that kinda cool?

No comments: