I think 'motivation' has a positive connotation. But honestly, I think in life, motivation works the best out of bitterness. Or Anger. Isn't it? How many times do you find yourself motivated positively?
Once I was motivated 'positively', was when I was studying with Manda and Rachel for our O level exams. Them being hardworking was a powerful influence. But, why I was studying so hard for A Math (other than the fact that I always fail it terribly), was that my A Math teacher and Vice Principal once approached me to 'advise' that I drop the subject. I understood that my grades was 'beyond help' and it would require a miracle for salvation. And then I was asked, "What is your goal for A Maths?"
"I just want to pass?"
My statement must have sounded like "I'm rich and I will give you $10K," because suddenly their faces were awash with hope and they 'stretched out their arms' to me. I was surprised by their reaction and later, disappointed and angry. What's that supposed to mean? From what I gathered, if I had aimed for something like a B (which is as possible as I am Jesus) they would still 'advise' that I drop the subject. I'm not good at Math, neither was I bad. I got a B3 I believe. For A Math, I had a special problem for my A Math teacher was my instant lullaby. I could be bouncing off walls in class and the minute she walks in and starts her lesson, I'm out like a light. However I was taught trigonometry and integration by my brother and thereon, I rarely got a trigonometry or integration question wrong. Aha!
I wouldn't go as far as to put the blame on her but the way she teaches just doesn't work for me. I tried to keep awake in class, believe me. In fact, I tried so hard that I ended up sleeping with my eyes open, just ask my class. The newfound mutant power simply gave me chances to sleep in other classes. Sigh. But back to the point, it felt like they gave up on me when I felt it wasn't entirely my fault and when they see that my aim is so low, they must have been thinking they could achieve that.
In the end, I never sought any help from my A Math teacher and instead, found motivation from Manda and Rachel. And my hard work paid off. I got an embarrassing C6, but I passed and it was a incredible improvement from my usual F9s and occasional E8s.
Still, the core motivation came from a not-so-pleasant situation. Isn't it true of many other cases as well? It's common that you hear of a plump lady who works hard to slim down after being victim of cruel words or harsh rejections.
Motivational quotes? Pssh. Works as well as Windows.
Music: Se7en - Sad Parting
3 comments:
Obviously motivational quotes as for the deluded, and we both know there are a lot of deluded people out there. Like jellyfish, for one, ostrich for another.
Oops, typo there... "quotes are for"
Ohohoho~
Well we can't always expect the world to be perfect =D
Post a Comment