Thursday, October 23, 2008

Getting to Work

Commuting to work every morning is a boring, mundane and mind-numbing routine that everyone hates to go through but has to.

Every morning, I catch a ride with my parents and they drop me off at Hougang MRT before I stuff myself into a train with 29842134827 other people. I swear some women hammer their 4 inch heels into the escalator steps. I rather listen to Martha Stewart. (Then again...)

I had forgotten that my EZ Link card was in the red and tried to get through the gates. Of course, I was rejected and had to backtrack. Now, there was a tsk from the man behind me. Wow, I sure spoiled your day huh? I'm sure your boss is going to be shaking his head and slamming reports back in your face the minute you walk in JUST because I delayed your entry to the train! To think that my initial reaction was to apologise.

Hey Mr., if you're running late, that's your shit. Aren't you tired of finding yourself rushing to work every day? Just get out of the house 15 mins earlier and you can stroll to work, like me. I'm never in a rush to work. And if you're already late, what's the point of running (especially when the train is not even there)? 5 - 10 mins isn't going to make a big difference.

I like my mornings. I love the smell and feel of the morning sun uninterrupted. I don't even light up a cigarette. So if you're missing all that just to tsk at people to rush to work, that's really your loss.

On a sidenote: Has anyone noticed that you can no longer find Spearmint Mentos on the shelves? Why! It can't possibly be tainted with melamine milk right?!

No comments: